Posted by : Unknown Wednesday, May 29, 2013



Remember when that awesome movie about illegal car racing came out back in 2001? You know what movie I’m talking about! The one with Vin Diesel and Paul Walker. The one that made Vin Diesel famous (don’t you dare say it was Pitch Black, even though that movie is way better.) Yes, I think by now we all know what movie I’m talking about: The Fast and the Furious (not to be confused with Fast & Furious.) Then they decided to follow up this gem with the horrendous 2 Fast 2 Furious. And as if that wasn’t insulting enough, they went on to make four more movies. Needless to say, I was not excited for this film.


The Fast and the Furious franchise has always been a bit of a thorn in my side. I really enjoyed the first one because it was a new idea and made car racing actually fun (something that NASCAR has failed at for...ummm...FOREVER.) The second one tried to copy that, and failed...as did the third. But the fourth brought something back that the series has been missing (mainly Vin Diesel.) I was actually really excited to see where the franchise could go with someone as awesome as Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson coming on for Fast Five. Sadly, that movie was a trainwreck, with some cool action, but an unforgivably heinous script.




Now, we come to, what many have called Furious 6, the newest installment in the franchise. I don’t think I need to tell you that I was not excited about this movie. After the awfulness that was Fast Five, I thought the franchise was completely done and couldn’t bounce back. I’m happy to admit that I was only slightly right.



Furious 6 hearkened back to the glory days of The Fast and the Furious just enough to make it not seem forced, and not too much to make it seem like they were trying to copy the formula. The movie took the high octane action (not exclusively involving cars) and molded a pretty interesting plot around. I imagine that the script is written in this way: They come up with the most ridiculous things that you can do with a bunch of cars, plan out 5 or 6 action sequences with said ridiculous car stunts, and then write a script that fits these scenes in. Yes, the plot seems a little flimsy, but I don’t think you need a particularly strong plotline for a film like this.



I think the real shining part of this movie is the fact that it isn’t another “Vin and Paul committing crime with cars.” They are actually doing good with their killer driving skills. And we get to see what it’s like for them when they are up against...themselves? It’s a cool concept of pitting two elite driving crews together, and seeing who can best the other. I think my favorite characters in the film were The Rock and Gina Carano (watching her duke it out with Michelle Rodriquez was pretty freaking awesome.)


------------------------------------------------

I can't believe how much I liked this movie. It infused the franchise with just the kick it needed to make it not feel completely unnecessary. I loved the action (though, I did get sick of the classic “show them shifting every time” trope.) I found the movie to be excellently paced and very entertaining.


Writing: 5/10
Directing: 7/10
Acting: 7/10
Pacing: 7/10
Rewatchability: 6/10

Score: 6.4/10

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

- Copyright © 2013 Nonsensical Ramblings -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -