Posted by : Unknown Tuesday, June 18, 2013

*THERE BE SPOILERS AHEAD!*



Obviously when it comes to TV shows and Movies the creators have to learn to decipher what can stay and what needs to be cut to stay on track with storyline, production, budget, and I am sure a ton of other things. Game of Thrones, being the immense universe it is, challenges the creators with making tough decisions on which characters to keep in, which to cut out completely, and when to use one character’s storyline on a different character (this will be explained a little later, if you don’t quite know what I mean.. I would say they have been doing a magnificent job on this, however, there are always the few characters that you wish you could see come to life on screen.
Alex and I put our minds together and came up with this list of our favorite characters in the books that we have yet to see come to life.






Donal Noye: He is the blacksmith at Castle Black who only has one arm. I hope we get to see him in Season 4, but I definitely remember him being introduced in book one. He protected Jon Snow when the other guys wanted to beat him up. This scene was given to Tyrion in the show which makes me think we might not be seeing him. I really hope we do because of his extreme badassness. We get to see this awesomeness when Castle Black is being attacked by the Wildlings. The wildling giant Mag the Mighty starts to break through some of the tunnels in the Wall and Donal Noye actually goes up against this beast and manages to kill him! Even though Mag also kills Donal...he is still a really cool character.


Rhaegar Targaryen: He was Daenerys’ oldest brother and heir to the throne until he died in Robert’s Rebellion. This may seem like a bit of a cheat, but I actually wanted to see some of his story. Obviously it would have to be as flashbacks, but they talk about him so much in the books that he almost feels like a character that we should have gotten to see in the show, you know? Barristan Selmy, Dany’s new member of her Queensguard, tells many stories of Rhaegar’s greatness in the books, and I am not sure he has really even been mentioned in the show.


Alayaya: Who hates Ros in the show, raise your hand! Well there is a slightly less obnoxious whore in the book, Alayaya! Alex felt she should have been in the show, and I can kind of see it, but I can fully understand why they just gave her scenes to Ros. I guess this is just more of me disliking Ros than really loving Alayaya. I just felt like Ros was shoehorned into the show to tie together a bunch of characters when they didn’t need that connection. Just because we see Ros with Theon then Petyr then Varys then Joffrey doesn’t make her any more important to the story. I liked Alayaya because she was actually important to one (mainly Tyrion’s) storyline and actually was a character instead of a plot device to connect stories.


Strong Belwas: I mean, come on. He is a complete and utter badass. He kicks ass and is a eunuch. Aside from being a total badass I think his backstory is pretty cool. He was a slave in the Meereen fighting pits and never lost a battle. He was sold around until he ended up in the hands of Illyrio who sent him to find Daenerys and report on where she is and what she is doing as well as keeping her safe from harm. I can see why he was cut because most of his scenes in the book are not critical to pushing the plot forward, but he would have made an entertaining and awesome character.
 
 
Cleos Frey: He is the oldest son of Ser Emmon Frey and Genna Lannister and fights alongside Jaime in the Battle of the Whispering Wood. Eventually he is captured with Jamie by the Starks and Catelyn releases him to accompany Jaime and Brienne on their journey home to King’s Landing. I loved his time with Brienne and Jaime. I can see why he was taken out, to streamline, I guess, but I still would have liked to have seen that group chemistry on screen.


Lollys: Doesn’t Bronn marry her in the books? Maybe it was just me, but I thought it was pretty funny that she tried to name her rape baby Tywin but was forbidden by Cersei, then Bronn decided to name it Tyrion after Tyrion “kills?” Joffrey. They gave her rape scene to Sansa instead, to add some character development to Sandor/Sansa relationship. Later in the book Bronn kills Lolly’s sister’s husband which is a big deal apparently. I see why they left her out, but in the long run, I would have rather seen Lollys instead of Sansa so we can see more Bronn in the end.


Dalla/Val: I don’t think the character is important, but I think that her existence is. Dalla is Mance’s pregnant wife. Her child has “king’s” blood and because of this is in potential trouble after the Wildling battle at the Wall. Dalla is killed and her sister Val starts to take some responsibility for the baby. Melisandre tries to burn the kid, but Jon switches him with Gilly’s baby and sends him away with Samwell and Gilly to Oldtown.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

- Copyright © 2013 Nonsensical Ramblings -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -