Posted by : Unknown Thursday, June 6, 2013



Since I started my movie blog earlier this year, I’ve had a lot of ideas on recurring segments that I could do that would involve talking about things other than brand new movies that I was reviewing. One of my ideas was to re-watch movies that I had seen a while ago and remembered really hating. I thought it would be interesting to see if I had the same feeling about these movies, of which there are many. I intend to do this every few weeks with movies like: Donnie Darko, Boondock Saints, Tree of Life and many others.

For the first installment of what I’m calling “Second Chance,” I decided to re-watch Empire Records.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the film, Empire Records is a 1995 movie about the employees of an independent music store and how their lives change when they find out that their store might be absorbed into a larger music store chain.


I remember the first time I saw Empire Records very clearly. I had been told by my best friend, Bonni, about how it was one of her favorite movies and how it was absolutely hilarious. I decided to sit down and watch it with her, and after that viewing I couldn’t understand why she liked it. I don’t really remember my problems with the film back then (for all I know, they are the same problems I had with it the second time around), but I distinctly remember being very disappointed.



My second viewing of the film happened under eerily similar circumstances. Bonni wanted to watch the movie, and I decided to watch it with her for the sole purpose of writing this article. After watching it a second time, I can honestly say that I didn’t hate it. I saw some promising material in the film, and some utter failure, but I definitely didn’t hate it.

I think my biggest qualm with this movie was the first half. All of the characters were set up to be either really unlikeable, or really inept. When I found out that they might all lose their jobs, I was actually kind of happy because they were so stupid. I understand that they were trying to show that flawed people are still people too, or whatever, but I think it could have been handled in a better way. And I say that for a reason, because in the second half of the movie they do exactly that.


The latter half of the film has some great character development (mostly around Liv Tyler, Renee Zellweger and Robin Tunney) and some excellent performances (by the same people.) This part of the movie felt completely disconnected from the first half which was really just a bunch of high school kids goofing off. The first half just felt like one big music video, whereas the second half was more thought out and well developed.

Sadly, I think that the excellent execution in the end of the movie cannot make up for the poorly handled introduction to the film and the characters.

Overall, I can see why some people might like it, but it is definitely not my cup of tea. The best I can say for this was that I didn’t hate it...which I definitely couldn’t say 10 years ago.

First Viewing: 1.0/10
Second Viewing: 5.0/10

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

- Copyright © 2013 Nonsensical Ramblings -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -